Sunday, January 25, 2009

Gardening

I like herbs. I like to think about herbs.I like to use herbs. I like to grow herbs. I don't know any people named Herb, however. I think herbs are under utilized. I think people use dried herbs way more often then fresh. The Minimalist wrote an article about pantry items and talked about how dried herbs are worthless. I only like them if I dry them myself in the fall and then use them that winter. I recently made a tomato sauce with dried basil and oregano from the fire escape gardens.

There is nothing better than a bunch of parsley. Mince some up and it can go on or in everything. I made a salad last week from roast beets, shaved fennel, gorgonzola, and more parsley than you can imagine, all coated with a vinaigrette. We take this hiking in the summer. There is nothing better than a salad that won't wilt. Shake the tupperware, two forks, and we are ready to go.

The problem is the size of bunches at the supermarket. They are never right. Buy a bunch of thyme, use three sprigs, and watch it decay in your crisper. At least with parsley you can make a gremolata. Which goes with way more than just Osso Buco.

I have three window boxes on the fire escape. For some reason the rosemary and lavender survive the winter in NYC. My friends in L.I. and R.I. can't keep them through the winter. I t could be the building's radiant heat. Sage lasts through the first frost, and sometimes longer, and then there is dried sage leaves hanging on the stem for me in the winter. Basil gets thrown here and there, onto a tomato salad from the farmer's market or a summer pasta with olives, capers, roasted red peppers and parmesan. When I freak out I make pesto, and then freak out again  that I have no basil. Last summer I roasted peaches on the grill and coated them with balsamic, basil, and vanilla Häagen Dazs. Mint goes into anything trying to resemble middle eastern. Chives are a lovely summer taste, and grow like weeds in the six inch square I allocate them. I like using the purple flowers in salads. I mixed oregano into a home made salsa and home made chili powder. Yes, they did work. Rosemary, along with pork and lamb, makes great summer cocktails. And thyme, like parsley, goes with almost everything.

The nicest part is you can use them to create a complex flavor palate. It helps keep me interested in cooking vegetarian. Breaded tofu with gremolata? Check. Stuffed portabellos with parsley, thyme, and oregano? Check. Basil sun dried tomato and mozzarella panini? Check.

I'm looking forward to next summer's crop already.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

tell me more about parsley, please. can i really add it to anything i make?

January 28, 2009 at 11:58 PM  
Blogger vohrtex said...

Everything might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I think it is much more versatile than sage or rosemary. The fresh, sweet flavor is somewhat generic, which makes it versatile. I think it is overlooked as just a garnish. I would usually add it towards the end or after cooking, to not kill the flavor. Since parsley is light it goes great with chicken and fish. I like flat leaf much better than curly, I think it has a better flavor. Parsley and lemon is a classic combination.

You can use it as an addition to a simple salad, on grilled chicken or fish with a squeeze of lemon, some sautéed vegetables with parsley and black pepper, steamed vegetables with parsley and butter, Add some when making burgers, or a parsley butter for steaks. If you are breading something to pan fry add it to the breadcrumbs.

It is a great complement to other herbs as well. I also think a fresh sprinkling before service can freshen a meal.

January 29, 2009 at 10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home