Monday, June 14, 2010

Whole Wheat?

My bread has been going really well, so I decided to try and branch out and make a grain filled whole wheat. It has flax seed, sunflower seed, and rolled oats as filler, but I can't see how they affect the chemistry. The flax is so J. gets some omega-3 fatty acids, and the other stuff is just to add flavor and texture.

This is the third attempt, and the first that I think is acceptable. I am amazed how different the chemistry of whole wheat is. the first time I did half WW flour, and it barely rose. So I have been cutting the WW and adding some honey to feed my limited yeast. I also can't find the right info in either On Food And Cooking or in Bakewise, but I know it is there.

The first rise is really good, so next time I'll cut the first rise significantly so that the second one still has some gumption. I thought the seeds/WW might just be adding weight that counters the rise.

Bread has turned into my own personal chess game. I can do it, but can I do it well? (Also, J. won't eat store bread anymore.)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home