Monday, March 2, 2009

Fry Up



I fired up the fryer for dinner for J, Blaise, and Matt. I've got a digital thermometer that I can set alarms for temperatures on. Combined with a big cast iron dutch oven and a lot of oil, it is much easier to control the temperature. While I fantasize about a fry daddy controlling it's own temperature, I don't have space for the kitchen equipment I have now.

The menu was very similar to New Years. I changed the pickles to a buttermilk cornmeal batter. They had a much better texture. I also added some fried capers. Rather than let them loose in the big pot, I contained them in a wire mesh strainer to keep them from escaping. They open up like flowers when fried. 

The nice thing about the vegetarian fry-up is I'm not worried about saving the oil. I poured it back into the bottle through cheesecloth this morning. I also don't have to worry about segregated frying. I would love to wrap one of the cornmeal pickles in bacon, it would be my two favorite foods in one; fry up and bacon. But I could never use the oil for J. again. Sad, lonely oil, only getting to fry once. I mourn for you.

Tonight I am thinking about a red onion, spinach, and gorgonzola fritatta. A leftovers special, and a much lighter meal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home