Thursday, March 5, 2009

The merger of Economic and Lost times

This woman is killing me. Clara is cooking food from the depression and her grandson is video recording and putting them on youtube.

Watching her gives me so many regrets about my Oma. I should have mined her for so much information, and I was never proactive about it.  She had so many pastry recipes that are now lost. I wish I could make sauerbraten with her right now. I've made it before, but not her recipe. Sweet strudels, christmas cookies, pear compote tarts, all things that I remember eating but never took the time to participate in. I know so many stories of her food, beyond what I remember eating. My mom will tell you about the time the pressure cooker exploded and coated the entire kitchen in beef stew. I wish I took the time to make stew with her.

If you are feeling economically depressed about your food budget, make some of her recipes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home