Thursday, March 26, 2009

Spring Planting

I started planting on the fire escape. I'm always challenged by vegetable choices, window boxes and pots can seem destined only for herbs. Two years ago I grew cherry tomatoes, but we were on the south side of the building then and they burned in the sun, even with me watering them EVERY day.

I decided trellised stuff might be better, so this year I'm going for peas and string beans. Dense plantings that can climb the natural trellis of the fire escape, and  they don't need to spread horizontally. For my own indulgence I also have a box for scallions. Spring, composed salads are definitely in our future!

Herbs will get replanted as well. I waffle between planting from seeds and buying 3 inch pots at the farmer's market. The problem with seeds is I hate to waste them. I really, really, don't need 100 dill plants. But by buying seedlings I am really paying someone to do work for me that I can easily do.

I'll take pictures when everything is together.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home