Sunday, April 5, 2009

Brown Sugar! Best substitution ever.

I hate buying brown sugar. I hate keeping it moist. I hate a box you can't fit a measuring cup into. I hate a brick in the pantry I can't instantly rehydrate.

I have a new plan. After seeing Alton do this, I realized, while I never use dark brown sugar, I could maybe make light. One pound sugar, 2 ounces black strap  molasses, let the food processor go to &#$@%* town. Voila! Light brown sugar! And the price comparison is absurd. The veil kept over my eyes by Domino was absurd. I keep it in  a zip-lock and can easily fit any size measuring scoop inside. Compact it through the bag with your hand and a perfect, packed, measured amount.

This totally makes me obsessed with substitutions. And baking math.  A few for you:

1 cup milk + 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar + 1/2 hour = 1 cup buttermilk.
7/8 cup of honey - 3 Tablespoons liquid(from the recipe) = 1 cup sugar
3/4 cup maple syrup - 3 Tablespoons liquid(from the recipe) = 1 cup sugar
21/4  Tablespoons = 1 large egg white (this is great as I freeze whites in one bin, and can defrost and measure out what I want) Buttercream was never easier.

1 cup of buttermilk and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda will rise one cup of flour. Hello, custom pancakes recipe!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home