Monday, April 20, 2009

Sea Foam


I made Sea Foam, mostly as an experiment. Inspired by this conversation, I thought it could be a fun experiment. I love the simple chemistry of it. Somehow, somewhere, someone figured out how to combine a grade-school science project volcano with candy.  The recipe is so simple as well.

1 cup sugar
1 cup dark corn syrup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tablespoon baking soda

Cook sugar, corn syrup, and vinegar to 300. Quickly stir in baking soda and pour into a buttered 9 by 9 pan. Wait for it to cool and break into chunks.

Lessons learned:
Mix really hard, really fast. I was surprised how quickly it processed.
REALLY butter the pan, if you want to get it out OK.
The finer density foam is a much better texture for eating.

I'm wondering what else I could make it with, other than dark corn syrup. Molasses? Honey? Maple Syrup? Pomegranate Molasses? And I know nothing about flavoring candies.

And yes, I know this is the most unhealthy food ever.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home